2010-10-09

Using the Custom Board Flattening Router Jig...Thingy

Well!  All I can say is, don't do this.  Not at home, even.  Certainly don't post it on the internet, because sure as the sun comes up, somebody is going to laugh at you.  FYI, I had to take the two center braces off again (drilling out rivets and making new holes) to space the center part wide enough to fit the headstock.  I am extremely tired of aluminum and pop rivets.


This silly little plastic-coated MDF folding table is the single best (usable by me) oasis of flatness in my house!  You should have seen me with the carpenter's square, measuring the basement floor and every beaten-up old desk (there are two).  This thing was a miracle where I least expected it.  But it's not perfect, and certainly the board I'm working on isn't either, so when I clamped the headstock end, I had to weight down the middle to press the other end to the surface.  The dumbbell weights are balanced across the neck on a piece of mild steel left over from a previous laughable project.  This configuration gets me additional clearance for my router grips as I work from the side.


Then I put the weights on the end and did the middle.  I came up with some reasonable flatness.  It's still bowed down in the middle a little, and I have theories as to why, but I don't really care.  I'm calling it good because it's even and reasonably consistent.  I can adjust it with the truss rod, or externally, when it's time to level the frets.  I will probably apply some 220-grit paper to my 1/4" glass and clean it up ever so slightly, then I'll call it good.


I got into the periphery of the epoxy zone at the boundary of this slice of 1/16" basswood - you can see the blue.  I've got a couple of choices here:

  1. Epoxy on another fiberglass/basswood layer and give myself some wood to glue onto (with the obligatory flattening step, which may not work because that much wood might well make the piece too thick to fit under my flattening jig)
  2. Glue the fingerboard on with epoxy.  Sounds good to me.  If I find myself with a guitar neck that's so screwed up that I am facing the prospect of taking the fretboard back off, I'm pretty much going to be starting again probably.
This was a very tense operation for me.  One serious mistake and I'd have been facing a total do-over, which isn't as bad as it sounds:  I think I could get back to this point within a week if I had to, knowing what I know now (and having what I have now).  But I really, really didn't care to find out.  Now I've got to be doubly careful of those nice sharp corners.  The neck piece is acquiring delicacy along with its flatness.  Very strange.


2 comments:

  1. I would think that you'd be ok with option 2. If exposing some of the epoxied fiberglass in the fiberglass/basswood sandwich wasn't ok, then it wouldn't be used, right? Or do the craft instructions clearly state that the fingerboard must be in contact with basswood?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately there don't seem to be any instructions for what I'm doing. You're right, I'm going to epoxy it. It's my guitar, nobody can stop me. I guess it could sound different.

    But I'm not building this thing for some kind of mystical vintage "tone" - it's intended for a much less subtle purpose.

    ReplyDelete