2010-10-15

Finalish Neck Thicknessing

I wanted to make the headstock 1/2" thick, and main part of the neck 3/4".  I could have done it a couple ways, I guess:
  1. Band saw the wide way, then clean up with the router and thickness fixture
  2. Route in increments until complete
I don't trust my band saw skills or my band saw setup enough for the first approach.  The second approach, however, filled my entire basement workshop area with a fine sawdust.  Why was I not informed about this?  It's everywhere.  Everywhere!  In fact, I thought I would be working on this guitar until I died of old age, but now I think I'm racing against lung disease.  Thankfully, I think that was the last of the major thicknessing operations.


Here's the nasty-looking step-down in back of the nut, which will need some serious work with the Stanley Surform cheese grater:


I think I'll clean up some of these messes and then see about finishing up the truss rod and attaching the fingerboard, in preparation for fretting.

No comments:

Post a Comment