2010-10-13

Shaping the Neck to Almost Final Width

The band saw I used was not accurate enough to make the neck sides perfectly flat or straight, and really blaming the tool is rather sad.  It's because of me.  So now I have to take the sides down.  I use a Stanley Surform with a flat grater to get pretty close, and then 120 grit sandpaper for the final approach.  However, the amount of surface area is key to sanding progress so I began to profile the back of the neck so I didn't have to flatten all that wood.  Like so:


I made a thing to hold the neck on its side where I can grate it properly:


I grate the neck with a Stanley Surform.  It gets pretty good traction if I apply a little pressure.  I think the fibergass/epoxy layer gives it a hard time.

1 comment:

  1. I think the fibergass/epoxy layer gives it a hard time.

    I think it's supposed to.

    ReplyDelete