2021-07-02

Building a POT Clone Guitar Pedal Based on the PedalPBC Pauper Schematic - Part the Bth

I spent about 3 hours debugging, which is actually better than I had any right to expect. There were 3 missing solder joints in the wire superhell on the back of the perfboard. 

Assembly Gutshot

 Here's the guts installed in the enclosure. Mocking it up on the cardboard probably made the difference between success and me throwing this whole thing across the room in disgust.

 

 

 

 

 

 

All Soldered Up 

Here's everything all together. I mean, I gotta admit it worked out:
  • The in/out jacks clear the tops of the side switches
  • The in/out jacks don't stop the cover from seating
  • The DC jack, although it's a 3-connector type, does clear the center mode switch

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Assembled

Here's the best possible viewing angle for this thing. From here you can't see the controls are all misaligned, though you can see the (LOL) washers I had to put on the DC jack (LOL) because I drilled the hole too big with my brand new step bit. Love that thing though.






 
 
 
 
 
 
And now here it is next to my first pedal, a clone of a Colorsound one knob fuzz (it has a bonus input sensitivity knob).

Sound

It's anybody's guess whether I really got this correct. Are all the component values actually right? Did I mess up something in one of the feedback loops? Who can say? But it sounds nice. I'm not sure I can really tell if the mids and turbo switches are working, or even if I have them labeled backwards. 

But it sounds like...an overdrive. I don't even like overdrives except in front of distortion. I think if I had to choose between this blues breaker-style pedal, and a screamer-style pedal, for use in front of an regular (not high gain) amp, I'd pick this one. It seems to have less of that screamer crackle haze in the top end.

No comments:

Post a Comment