2012-01-07

Installing an Acoustic Strap Button

I'm doing this partly to take pictures with my new camera, and partly because I haven't blogged much lately.  The one people who read my blog will be pleased, I know - you're intensely welcome and you know I like you alright.  But also my project acoustic refret straight-pull conversion needed a strap button, and I don't like the idea of the thing that loops around the headstock.  Why?  Because I have strong opinions about things I know nothing about.

For guidance, I consulted this article on frets.com - frets.com seems to have stringed instrument mojo about stuff.  Pointless aside: I also like the articles at Fret Not Guitar Repair, which has a wonderful name and great information, but the stuff she works on is way out of my class (search for "acoustic" on this blog to see an example of my class of work on my class of instrument).  I pretty much drill holes in things and hack them up with cheese graters.

This is where I plan to drill a hole.  Somewhere...on there. Too much toward the back and the guitar will want to flip forward, maybe, and too much toward the front and there could be a flying monkey attack.  I'm feeling whimsical.



The button will go in the middle.  But I've got to check that I won't hit any metal.  Does this thing have a bolt on neck?  I have to check, I cannot recall.


I'm no expert but I don't see any bolts here.  Let's drill with abandon.  I selected a bit that was about the size of the screw core and taped a stop to it so I didn't go shallow or through:


Then I screwed in the button, taking care lest I drilled the pilot too small and began to strain the wood.


That's ten minutes of work and I feel like a genius, plus my guitar doesn't fall on the floor when I get up, anymore.

2 comments:

  1. i've often wondered how to do this...i just tie mine around the nut with twine. Aren't there 2 readers in here anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two! My bad, thank you. The twine around the headstock thing would be easier - not possible for me.

    ReplyDelete