2011-10-08

Second Attempt at Homemade Table Tennis Blade

This time I'm going to do 7 plies, 5 of them wood, all glued with 2 part epoxy:
  1. Center ply of 1/16" hard maple, lengthwise grain
  2. Two plies of 1/32" basswood, 45 degree grain (from a 12" wide sheet)
  3. Two plies of 8.9oz S Glass Satin Weave, Thickness: 0.0097"
  4. Two plies of 1/32" basswood, lengthwise grain
This picture shows the layers as they will be assembled:


I assembled them painstakingly between two pieces of super-flat polished granite from a big box home improvement store, each covered with sections of black garbage bag to protect them for another project.  Weight added to mash everything together.


I don't have an accurate scale but it feels kind of heavy so I'll skip the oak handles and use more basswood instead:


Use one of these when you sand.  It cost about $40.  The filter packs are replaceable.  It handles particulates, some VOCs, some acid vapors, and other things I cannot pronounce.  It works infinitely better than those silly fabric masks you buy by the dozen because it is comfortable, seals perfectly, doesn't get all soaked with moisture, and doesn't fog your glasses if you have them.   That last point is worth at least $40 to me.  


The handle halves were laminated separately on the same granite slabs using regular glue, then bonded to the blade handle with regular glue.  I'm tired of epoxy at this point - shit sticks to everything and won't ever come off, forces you to throw tons of gloves and plastic and brushes straight into the landfill.


I shaped the handle using a rat tail file and 100 grit sandpaper.   I finished it using 220 grit sandpaper. Careful when you use a coarse file, or even course paper - you can shred the grain.  The laminations help with that, though.

What did I learn?  
  1. Use a half-template:  one half of a paddle shape, flipped on its axis.  That way your thing is symmetrical
  2. Just buy one next time
  3. I'm tired of chemicals.  Every time I do a project I'm up to my ass in chemicals.


2 comments:

  1. Hi I have some question re your blade. can I post a tel no here.?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The author has so wonderfully enthralled the consideration of group of onlookers by this radiant blog.https://fidgetsguide.com/best-ping-pong-paddles/

    ReplyDelete