2011-09-29

The Meaning of Phrygian #6 - What I Missed

In my last post I went through convulsions to derive the so-called Phrygian #6 from the major scale by means of an involved process.  I left for later the question of what Phrygian #6 actually means.  


I turns out you have to do is get the Phrygian mode and do what it says - sharp the 6th degree.


1. C Major scale with # of semitones between each degree:

       C   D   E   F   G   A   B   C
         2   2   1   2   2   2   1

2.  The 3rd mode of the major scale is the Phrygian:


       E   F   G   A   B   C   D   E 
         
1   2   2   2   1   2   2


3. Sharp the 6th degree to "slide" the one-semitone interval over one degree:


       E   F   G   A   B   C#  D   E 
         
1   2   2   2   2   1   2



4. Transpose to D:


       D   Eb  F   G   A   B   C   D
         
1   2   2   2   2   1   2



Having said that, I don't really like Phrygian #6.  I wanted the regular Phrygian after all, because it sounds like it goes with my riffs better:


       D   Eb  F   G   A   Bb  C   D
         
1   2   2   2   1   2   2


No comments:

Post a Comment