2011-08-27

Acoustic Refret

First I had to get the fingerboard all flat. I've struggled with flatness before.  This time I think I did better. Below you see my cheap aluminum level with a layer of fabric carpet tape plus a layer of 220 grit paper.

  1. I use a solvent to clean the old tape scum off the level
  2. I put on the carpet tape.  It sticks like a beast so hold it at one end, line it up an inch off the opposite end, and lay it down easy.
  3. I use a razor blade along the edge to cut the tape flush, then peel the backing.
  4. I put on the paper in 11.5" strips, then use the razor the same way to cut that flush


I made sure the truss rod was loose all the way, then I sanded.  There was a high spot at the soundhole end of the fingerboard, and another longer one from fret 1.5 to about fret 11.  By the time I was done, all the fake black ebony stain had come off, and I'd taken enough wood off that the whole idea of putting on high frets to lower the action was nullified.  Way to think it through, kiddo.


Also excellent:  the nut, which is supposed to pop off easy, did in fact pop off easy, but it took some grain with it.  I'll have to flatten that surface with a file.

Here is the first several frets.  I didn't order enough fret wire because I messed up, and the next batch didn't arrive in time for the hurricane.


No comments:

Post a Comment