2011-02-01

The Guitar with the Finish (but not the Finished Guitar)

After weeks of applying thin coats of wipe-on poly I got enough layers on there.  The poly is not mirror smooth - that happens later, after the poly has cured (2-4 weeks, and/or until the smell disappears), when it's wet-sanded and buffed.  Who knows if I'll even bother doing that?  In the photos that follow, you can see the ripples in the poly.



The headstock with the Steinberger gearless tuners and Fender LSR nut. I've been slacking the strings, adjusting the neck relief with the truss rod, and re-shimming the nut each time.  What a pain in the sack.


The battery is wrapped in blue electrical tape, both to prevent it from shorting any contacts, and because CVS batteries are Not Very Metal.


Six-bolt neck attachment:


I still haven't figured out how to bend the 1/2" aluminum rod. I'm working on that.  It may involved annealing the metal with a propane torch (until the carbon in a Sharpie line fades out).  I've located a machine shop very near my house, but I haven't given up yet; I've managed to do just about everything by myself so far.

2 comments:

  1. It looks great, Matt! I really like the stain you chose for the finish. How many coats of poly have you done and how many do you intend to put on?

    Can't wait to hear it! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Dave. The wipe-on poly is basically polyurethane thinned with mineral spirits, so it goes on thin. I probably did 25-30 applications or so. An average of two a day for 15 days, perhaps. This was with the parts hung vertically. After that I laid the body (in particular) horizontal and put a few more on the various faces, thick as I could.

    I think I'm done with the finish for now. If I want to buff it smooth, I'll have to take the whole thing apart again, and the process risks breaking through the poly layer - forcing another round of finishing. It's not as professional as it could be, but it's functional, which is the main point.

    ReplyDelete