2010-12-18

Playing Impressions and To Do List

To get the neck pickup working I had to flip a connector that I had wrong on the EMG pickup buss.  Then everything was well.  This guitar sounds good - the neck and body don't resonate much, so it has acres of sustain.  Also because of the lack of resonance, it lacks a certain amount of "tone".  It's a little too clean and plain.  But you know what?  I mean to do that.  That's why I picked a composite neck, thinking that the two materials (wood and fiberglass/epoxy) would fight each other an resonate with nothing.  It's why I picked a solid bridge.  It's why I picked EMG pickups - for their low string pull.  It's why the body is a large, very thick slab of what passes for mahogany these days.

I wanted a guitar primarily for high gain chord work, with massive sustain, that could do some nice cleans, and I think I got it.  I've decided to concentrate all the controls in the main mahogany slab.  That will give me the freedom to do whatever I want with the body shape, or even leave it the way it is (though I would like an leg rest and one for my arm as well).  Why shouldn't my guitar be a block with little sticks hanging off it holding up wood bits like a Tinker Toy atom?  Let everyone else build more Telecasters and SGs and LPS and Strats and whatnot.  Make mine different.

Now I have to do a bunch of things, and in order not to waste strings, I have to remember to do them all at once:

  1. Cut the humbucker springs by 1/3 or so, particularly the neck
  2. Mount the pickup selector mini-switch (a DPDP on-on-on strapped into SPDT center-on) on a piece of aluminum near the master volume
  3. Mount the output jack.  It can't go on the end of the guitar because I want this thing to stand up when I lean it against something.
  4. Route reliefs around the rear cavity edges to receive cover plates - at the same time I ought to clean up the cavities and make them even
  5. Fix up a dead note up near 16 or 17 on the high E, where the edge of that fret is way too low.  I missed this in leveling and I'm not sure how I want to fix it:  I can re-level the frets (then re-crown them and re-polish them) or I can level just the upper half, sloping down gently, like some instructions say.  The problem with that second one is that if I do that, and it doesn't get enough material, I'm in trouble.
  6. Thin the back of the neck?  I've got about 10/64s back of the truss rod, and the neck is thick.  If I had had to force relief into the neck with the rod, it would be pushing on that material, but I think it's pushing on the other side instead (because the strings are acting on the neck well).  Still, I think I'd rather be safe than sorry.  The neck plays well.
  7. Figure out what to do about rests for leg and arm

3 comments:

  1. At some point you should consider posting video (or just audio) of you playing the new creation so that we can hear what it sounds like. If you don't have anything in the AV dept, I've got a camcorder that'll do the job. Unfortunately, I haven't found user friendly, cheap video editing software that shrinks video size down to something bandwidth friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Within a week I'll have the body "core" fully assembled and I'll try to do something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, I just remembered: I smashed my left index finger in a door today and I need to let it get through the entire dark side of the color spectrum before I play a single note.

    So it may be a week. It may be more. Maybe the fingernail will fly off in a heave of vital ochre.

    ReplyDelete