2010-09-07

Wow, This Stuff Is Hard to Cut Part Deux

So I had this idea that I might be able to cut this piece of basswood/fiberglass composite with a router and a small bit.  This was a Very Bad Idea.  The board (or more precisely, the epoxy in the board) nearly caught fire. 

I was able to cut the ends off with a hacksaw, so I got a handle that accepts reciprocating saw blades and tried to rip the board edges clean with a metal-cutting blade.  No dice; it will take forever.  Mind you, wouldn't care if I only had to do it once, but I'll probably use the same approach to round off the back of the neck.

Plan C is to get a bandsaw.  Bandsaws come in wood- and metal-cutting varieties.  The former generally run the blade at 1500-3500 feet per minute, while the latter generally run about 150 feet per minute.  Some saws advertised as being for both wood and metal compromise with a speed of around 500 feet per minute.  Which do I need?  Do I care to bet $500 on it ($300 used)?

I'm going to try to find an older wood-cutting bandsaw in disrepair that is good raw material.  I will modify it with some extra pulleys to bring the blade speed down, and make it a two-speed machine.

2 comments:

  1. The board (or more precisely, the epoxy in the board) nearly caught fire.

    Holy crap!

    Do you want me to ask around about the bandsaw? My father-in-law has a knack for finding usable junk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Dave! Actually I've just gotten my hands on a 70's Craftsman 12" Band Saw/Sander, for free. It seem to run fine, but needs a little adjustment and a few replacement parts. I'll post results on it soon.

    ReplyDelete